Day 1


July 7th Saturday

We had an early start today. At arrival we helped sort out the food and checked out our camping gear. Our very nice camping gear, I felt like a true naturalist when all suited up! I haven’t been camping in quite a long time I was a little nervous. I was thankful that we had a presentation before we left. I was extremely intrigued during the presentation.

Jonalee Squeochs presented on climate change and the Yakama Nation Climate Adaptation plan. This presentation shone a light on how our communities are and will be drastically affected. I knew climate change was going to be a big problem in our valley but I didn’t think it was going to be that bad. Climate change threatens everything; economy, population, pest, water and so much more. After hearing about the progress the Yakama Nation has had with the adaptation plan I was relieved and surprised. I was surprised as to how so many organization and people came together, talked, compromised, and finished this great plan that can soften the damage of climate change. It is just amazing ow everyone came together to create and prepare for this.

After the presentation we ate lunch and hung out for and shared some stories and laughs. We left around 2:30 p.m. heading up to Potato Hill. We made a couple of stops, to get roasting sticks (willow branches), see the largest Ponderosa Pine in Washington State, and to use the restrooms. Finally we got to Potato Hill, we step out of the vans and majority of us are blown away by the Mt. Adams and how beautiful it is. I felt extremely privileged to be there in that space. We entered the Yakama Native closed area, that is a big deal. I am a non-Yakama here and enjoying the breath taking area. Not everyone is allowed to come up here and privilege is amazing.

Finally, we set up out tents and fought of the mosquitos that were eating us alive. We had spaghetti for dinner prepared by Jacob Billy, it was bomb and a great way to start.

This is my second time on the trip. The first time I was and incoming freshman and it was the first year of the People of Big River (pobr). I am excited the first time was an amazing experience, learning about the culture we live with and around is great. This is the first time the pobr is starting on the Yakama Reservation and its super cool. I am to experience and grow from all the thing I get to see and learn.
We'll see what tomorrow brings

- Destiny

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Day 2

Day 11

Day 7